Thursday, September 8, 2011

New Stuff

Bwahaha! I have emerged from my school stupor that made me forget that I have a blog! And now in my forced idleness I shall send out into the world of cyberspace a never-ending succession of posts!

In all reality I'll probably update this about once a month.

So... what's new? Well I'll tell you what's new.
1. I got married
2. I graduated from law school
3. I took the bar exam (results come out tomorrow)
4. I am unemployed
5. I have rediscovered reading and Mario Kart

The above are not in chronological order. First I graduated in May. Well, even before that I got engaged about an hour before April Fool's. It was really fun on April 1 to tell all my friends I was engaged. Most of them weren't quite sure whether to believe us or not. Because it could have been true, but we could just have been getting back at them for constantly pushing us to get married. (Side note: I will never EVER push someone when it's obvious that they've found the right person. Having so many people push you towards something that you're not quite sure about and is a big decision is the direct opposite of help.) So we set the wedding for August 6, just 10 days after the bar exam.

If you're really good at logic puzzles, you've probably figured out the order of events by now. I quit my job in May so I could focus on studying for the bar and planning a wedding. Which leads me to my married and unemployed status. That's when I rediscovered reading and Mario Kart. My current book is a biography of Fred Astaire. Not very well written as far as the story goes, but lots of interesting information.

In other news, I learned an important baking lesson today. If a recipe calls for shortening and butter or margarine you can use butter in place of the shortening, but you cannot use margarine in place of the shortening. I tried that when I discovered that I had no real butter or shortening in the middle of making cookies this evening. Result- cookie soup. The dough never really stiffened to the point that I could make cookies out of it. So I tossed it all in a casserole dish and made a cookie pie/cake. I haven't tasted it yet, having gorged myself on dough soup, but I plan to tomorrow. It's probably fine.

Speaking of tomorrow and results, the bar exam results come out tomorrow at 1pm. I honestly haven't been that nervous until just now. For whatever reason I've had no butterflies, no quavering stomach, no sweaty palms, or anything until now when it's way too late to do anything about it. I had kind of chalked the non-feeling about the bar exam up to do much to do (get married, move, honeymoon, get the apartment sorted out to a livable condition, insurance, dress preservation, etc.). But that really slowed down about a week and a half ago, so I don't know what was going on. I should have been nervous. I should have been all knotted up inside. But I wasn't. Even now it only comes in little bursts of strangled anticipation. I just hope that the morning goes by quickly so that the agony will end as soon as possible.

And I am looking for work. It's just that so is half my class. I really haven't found much yet but I'm sure that I will soon. I'm networking at maximum and doing my best to write good cover letters and follow up on leads. I'm sure that once I get an interview I'll be good to go. I just have to get that foot in the door. So wish me luck! And in the mean time I'll enjoy the down time and brush up on my kart driving skills.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Kate! Thanks for the life update! I've been wondering how you've been, especially with the wedding and everything. Married life is GREAT, but it's an adjustment, too. It only gets better and better!

Wow! I'll be thinking about you today with the Bar exam results. You're one of the smartest people I know, so I know you did awesome. Good luck with the job search. A lot of our law school friends here at UVa are struggling to find jobs after graduation, too. Just another reason to be dissatisfied with the current state of the economy.

Miss you like crazy, Kate. I think about you a lot and wonder how you've been. We have a family blog that I try to update at least once a week, so check it out! Oh and side note--we're expecting baby #3! Another boy we're pretty sure, based on a quicky ultrasound George did when he snuck me into the ER one night, but we'll find out for sure in about 3 weeks.

Love you! Thanks for the updates!

The Reynolds said...

Congrats on school & marriage! I hope all goes well in both departments. You've been a busy lady.

By the way, I love to read now (for fun) & Mario Kart is my absolute favorite game.

The Reynolds said...

One more thing: post a pic of you & Mr. Right. Would love to see it!