Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Adventures in Lawyer-dom

This is a bit silly and I realize it. But I got a real lawyer job today. I'm doing research for a firm up in Edmond. First off, yay money! and secondly, yay experience! I've been doing work for Legal Aid Services of Oklahoma, which I love, but this is a little more grown-up feeling. I spend most of my time at Legal Aid on the phones slogging through the quagmire of American justice and governmental agencies. Basically calling different departments to find out why horrible thing X happened to the client and what the policy is to appeal, repeal, or dispute it. Today, however, I was given the outline of some case facts and told to go find out if there's a cause of action. Oh, and call this person (a real witness!) to see if you can get some more information from her. Then they handed me one of those huge brown accordion file folders full of hearing transcripts and evidence and basically left me to my own devises. Pretty cool! Anyway, I just got off the phone with the witness and I feel like a grown up lawyer doing real lawyerly things. It's a good feeling. Like maybe I'm going to enjoy my profession. And maybe I did actually learn something over the last year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool story you told me today! Very impressive!